The concept of performance
Performance is the computer's speed of performing tasks.
We can highlight two main tasks, which should be performed by a computer, console, or mobile phone during the game:
- rendering and maintenance of the game world where the user is;
- reaction to the player's actions.
The performance factor is significant in games; if the productivity rate is low, a computer cannot process all tasks quickly and on time. As a result, we will get freezes, lagging, slowdown, etc.
On the other hand, if the performance is high, the game runs smoothly, and nothing prevents our immersion in it. But, when the device performance is not good enough for the game's stability, we can reduce its load by lowering the graphics quality.
The performance itself is a collective value as it depends on the following factors:
- Processor (CPU). The higher the processor's clock rate and the more parallel working cores, the better the speed of operation.
- Graphics processor (GPU). Graphics cards with higher characteristics allow processing and displaying the image faster, which improves computer performance.
- Random-access memory (RAM). RAM stores executable program code and some processor data during device operation. More RAM stores more data and increases performance.