Speaking of locations, the first thing to say is that such notions as «location in space» and «gaming location» must be distinguished.
Location in space is the location of the object in the area. This is an indicator that can be determined either by geographic coordinates (GPS) or by reference to local landmarks (around the corner, on a red brick near a store, etc.)
Gaming location (we will talk about this later on) is a strictly certain area, the exit from which is either impossible, or leads to the loading of another location.
Depending on the genre of the game, the concept of location can have different names:
- Level – most often found in arcade games;
- Round is a typical name for fighting games;
- Map – this is what the locations are called in strategies and shooters;
- Board – location designation in various variations of card games;
- The table is the designation of the location in roulette;
- A slot machine is a separate level in slot-like games.
The set of locations determines the general appearance of the game world. If the game does not mean an open world (which we will talk about later), then the locations are separate levels, access to which appears after the successful completion of the previous one or when the necessary conditions are met (see screenshots below).